Guitar | Bass | Keyboard | Microphones | Mixers | Audio Interfaces | Sequencers & Software Plugins | Live Sound & PA | Drums | Club & DJ | Accessories | Blowouts

For the Studio (not stage) which DYNAMIC mic under $130

This topic is devoted to Microphones. Discover which works well with certain instruments, vocals, and recording environments. Mic setup and placement techniques and outfitting a Microphone Cabinet for home and pro studios are also discussed here.

Moderator: Tweak

For the Studio which dynamic mic under $130

Shure SM57
75%
Shure SM58
17%
ElectroVoice ND267A
1%
Sennheiser e835
3%
Sennheiser e840
2%
ElectroVoice ND767A
2%

Total votes : 214

For the Studio (not stage) which DYNAMIC mic under $130

Postby Tweak on Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:37 am

If you could only get one dynamic mic under $130, and had to use it for all your tracks that required a dynamic, which would you prefer?

Shure SM57Image

Shure SM58Image

ElectroVoice ND267AImage

Sennheiser e835Image

Sennheiser e840Image

ElectroVoice ND767AImage
Last edited by Tweak on Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tweak
Resident TweakHead
Resident TweakHead

Postby Blue Bear Sound on Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:30 am

A heckuva lot can be done with a 57 (and a good pre... without a good pre, it's a complete crap-shoot!)
Last edited by Blue Bear Sound on Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just in case you didn't notice, this place has sadly died due to spam overuns and a total lack of Admin upkeep.
But feel free to sign up at http://www.recordingstudiocentral.com where we've started fresh!

bruce valeriani - mix engineer
Blue Bear Sound
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Location: Canada's capital................... (no that's NOT Toronto, skippy!)

Postby bilco on Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:02 pm

Blue Bear Sound wrote:A heckuva lot can be done with a 57 (and a good pre!)

I just found out how true that is. I got an RNP finally and my 57 with a pop screen through the RNP into PTLE sounds better on my voice than an SM7, KSM27 and Rode NT1a do. The 57 also sounds pretty decent on an acoustic through a Behringer board, so now I want to try it through the RNP. It is virtually indestructible too, which has not been my experience with the breakable plastic sleeves on the EV mics.

I also like the fact that it rejects off axis sounds like computer noise, yapping Corgis, passing trucks, etc. The LD condensers pick up great detail, but they also pick up all kinds of unwanted noises and flutter echoes in my untreated rooom.

The preamp made all the difference though. The 57 through the Behringer board, Audio Buddy or Digi001 mic inputs was pretty good sounding, but 1 dimensional compared to how it sounds now.

bilco
bilco

Postby Tweak on Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:24 pm

I have to agree here. I can't hardly believe how good an sm57 sounds on a nice preamp; it's a huge difference.
Tweak
Resident TweakHead
Resident TweakHead

Postby vampire06 on Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:51 am

and... how it sounds the sm57 with a "lesser" pre.. let´s say...a DMP3?

Im owner of an sm58 (well, it´s my only mic) and it´s great, even trough the crappys IMP´s.
but... imo, the 58 its a live performance mic.
vampire06

Postby octopi.mzk on Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:25 pm

ppl, hi. ermmm. lets see, i know this might have already been asked and answered a thousand times, but havent found what im looking for so far...

i have so far not met the need to mic anything, not seriously, so ive been doing with some cheap radioshack mic worth $30 and the preamp on my m audio fast track pro. now ive been recording a lot of folk music at work and finally decided to put in some of that into my music (nylon string guitars, quechua-style woodwinds like sikus or so, charango, etc), as well as vocals. i've been thinking of getting a shure sm57 as a multipurpose mic, since i cant afford a condenser yet (tho i can use the u47 at work). but for some reason im tempted towards a sennheiser e835 instead. never used one, never tried one, never even heard something recorded with those either.

has anyone a/b'd them? any ideas? i'm just looking for the best dynamic cardioid possible within that price range, and if possible, an idea on why to choose one over the other.

now thats question number one.

number two: once possible id like to get some nice preamp. i guess i can do for the moment with my fast track pro, but i will need to get to something better if im thinking of getting serious. i'd love to get a rnp, but its simply impossible: the thing is im in argentina, and prices are trippled here, so i guess the most expensive piece of equipment i could get would be just a piece of junk. any ideas on the bestest possible two channel preamp in the $200 price range?

thanks to you all
cheers!
octopi.mzk

Postby SlickCentral on Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:40 pm

If your radioshack mic is the silver one... That thing is remarkably nifty for vocals.

And I love the SM57 more than a great many other things in life. As for preamps, I just use the ones on my mixer (cheapo for the win).
Slick of SlickCentral.net
SlickCentral

Postby bilco on Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:15 am

vampire06 wrote:and... how it sounds the sm57 with a "lesser" pre.. let´s say...a DMP3?

Im owner of an sm58 (well, it´s my only mic) and it´s great, even trough the crappys IMP´s.
but... imo, the 58 its a live performance mic.

I liked the way my 57 sounded through my Digi001 preamps and Behringer preamps before I got the RNP. I can't put my finger on what the exact difference is, but the 57 sounds better for recording my voice than my old beat up 58. The 57 needs a windscreen though to keep from popping.
bilco

Postby bilco on Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:18 am

octopi.mzk wrote:ppl, hi. ermmm. lets see, i know this might have already been asked and answered a thousand times, but havent found what im looking for so far...

number two: once possible id like to get some nice preamp. i guess i can do for the moment with my fast track pro, but i will need to get to something better if im thinking of getting serious. i'd love to get a rnp, but its simply impossible: the thing is im in argentina, and prices are trippled here, so i guess the most expensive piece of equipment i could get would be just a piece of junk. any ideas on the bestest possible two channel preamp in the $200 price range?

thanks to you all
cheers!

I have not heard one, but the M-Audio DMP3 gets a lot of votes for being a great value preamp. It has 2 channels with Burr Brown Op Amps and DI.
bilco

Postby vampire06 on Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:00 am

Hey! octopi.mzk, glad to see another "Argento" around here!
vampire06

Postby octopi.mzk on Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:07 pm

hehhehe hi vamp
well, thanks ppl. i guess ill be considering all this. for the moment i think im gonna go buy the 57 right away, and some real long cable. hope this buddy copes with my intentions of sampling weird bird squacking. if not ill start saving up for some multi LDC (rode nt2a maybe? could never afford something better anyways, not here). as for the preamp, does any of you know the ones on the fast track pro? any ideas? should i go get an outboard preamp right away or are they decent enough? i guess i'll start realizing once i get a proper mic (no, the radioshack crappie thing i got is black. cant tell the model # rite now, i borrowed it).
anyways, once again, thanks ppl
cheers!

oh. ps: has any of you guys A/B'd a sm57 with a sennheiser e835? i guess my mind is made up already, but i'd still like some comparative opinions
cya!
octopi.mzk

Postby chris319 on Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:33 am

My first choice would be the Shure SM48, which is a few bucks less than the 57/58 but sounds clearer and more distinct, possibly due to the lack of an output transformer.

Then comes the SM58.
chris319

Postby Blue Bear Sound on Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:11 am

chris319 wrote:...first choice would be the Shure SM48, which is a few bucks less than the 57/58 but sounds clearer and more distinct...

ummm... no.

chris319 wrote:Then comes the SM58.

uh - you do know that the 57 and 58 use EXACTLY the same capsule, right?
Just in case you didn't notice, this place has sadly died due to spam overuns and a total lack of Admin upkeep.
But feel free to sign up at http://www.recordingstudiocentral.com where we've started fresh!

Blue Bear Sound
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby chris319 on Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:00 pm

What don't you like about the SM48?

uh - you do know that the 57 and 58 use EXACTLY the same capsule, right?

They use the same capsule as the 48 or the same capsule as each other?
chris319

Postby Big Tim on Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:07 am

The same capsule as each other. The very slight difference in sound comes from the contruction of the casing and the ball end on the 58.
"Anyone can be a wizard with a runic knife, but it takes skill to be one with an apple corer" - Terry Pratchett

2- and 3-mic Drum Miking Techniques

junkie brush / drunkenstein / tie your shoes to your knees and pretend you're small, like us
Big Tim
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Postby chris319 on Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:31 pm

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the 48 used the same capsule as the 57 and 58.
chris319

Postby Blue Bear Sound on Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:39 am

chris319 wrote:I wouldn't be at all surprised if the 48 used the same capsule as the 57 and 58.

They are not... the capsules are completely different between the SM48 and the SM58....

The Shure website wrote:The SM58 and SM48 use different cartridges. That is to say, they have different frequency responses, different off axis responses, different handling characteristics, different transcient responses, etc.

Blue Bear Sound
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby chris319 on Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:03 pm

Funny, a Google search did not turn up that passage on Shure.com:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=lang_en&as_qdr=all&q=sm48+sm58+%22different+cartridges%22+site%3Ashure.com&btnG=Search

I have A/B/C'd the 48, 57 and 58 and think the 48 sounds the best of all.
chris319

Postby Blue Bear Sound on Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:56 am

chris319 wrote:Funny, a Google search did not turn up that passage on Shure.com

I pulled it right off the FAQ on the Shure.com website, skippy....

You are aware that NOT EVERYTHING on a site gets indexed by Google, right? :roll:

chris319 wrote:I have A/B/C'd the 48, 57 and 58 and think the 48 sounds the best of all.

Well then all I can say is maybe you need a better monitoring chain,
or perhaps your ears need further development for sonic detail....

Blue Bear Sound
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby chris319 on Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:50 pm

No, you found it at shure.custhelp.com.

So far you haven't stated exactly what you don't like about the SM48. You've established that it has a different capsule from the SM58 and that's about all. Have you ever used an SM48? Have you A/B'd it against any other mic under controlled conditions and if so, would you care to share your impressions with us?
chris319

Postby stvfetterly on Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:32 am

chris319 wrote:

No, you found it at shure.custhelp.com.

So far you haven't stated exactly what you don't like about the SM48. You've established that it has a different capsule from the SM58 and that's about all. Have you ever used an SM48? Have you A/B'd it against any other mic under controlled conditions and if so, would you care to share your impressions with us?

shure.custhelp.com IS where shure redirects you when you look for information. You would probably know that if you had bother to look for information before spouting your (incorrect) opinion about the mic capsules. People will often be less than nice to you when you pretend to know what you're talking about and try to pass off lies as the truth. Especially when you contradict yourself even in your opinion (first saying that you think that the SM48 is a better sounding dynamic mic than an SM58, then say that it probably uses the same capsule and thus has a nearly identical sound). I'm not sorry if people (like Blue Bear Sound who is both helpful and knowledgable on this forum call you out) some people are here to learn about recording, and your type of misinformation makes that harder.
stvfetterly
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby chris319 on Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:51 pm

you contradict yourself even in your opinion (first saying that you think that the SM48 is a better sounding dynamic mic than an SM58, then say that it probably uses the same capsule and thus has a nearly identical sound)

Here is what I said:

sounds clearer and more distinct, possibly due to the lack of an output transformer.

Nowhere did I say it has "a nearly identical sound" due to having the same capsule. I said it has a better sound, possibly due to the lack of an output transformer. No contradiction there. If you're going to restate my previous posts, please do so accurately.
chris319

Postby THE DIO on Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:06 am

you guys are funny but blue bears opinions are as close to fact as you get the guy knows his stuff
THE DIO
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Steven mc. on Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:11 am

Interesting.
I Though the 48 sounds great on stage, it didn't hit me as obviously worse then a 58. I never actually took time to shoot it out though, I don't own one. But it is cheaper and doesn't have the same capsule. I doubt it's got Better sound, Because your first person I've heard say that Over thousands of Live audio guys and engineers who stick to 58's for years. Cheers.
My Studio http://www.studio-central.com/phpbb/vie ... hp?t=42206
Home studio owner/Drummer
Punk/Metal/Remixing
Steven mc.
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Postby nanashiwanderer on Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:01 pm

Chris319 likes to argue he does it quite a bit.
nanashiwanderer

Next

Return to Recording with MICROPHONES